02 January 2011

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein was  my choice of poetry this month.  Shockingly, the only book by Shel Silverstein that I have read is "The Giving Tree", which is by far one of my favoritest memories from childhood, but until recently, I didn't even know that was written by Shel Silverstein.  I enjoyed the book and the many different forms his poetry takes.  I don't think a summary really fits, but I think that his opening poem is very fitting for how I feel about reading:

INVITATION

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer. . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

I hope that everyone and anyone who has ever dreamed, pick up a book and enter in.  I had someone tell me that they really weren't a reader recently.  I told them they hadn't found the right book, to keep looking, to open and start and if they didn't like it not to worry about finishing it, just move on.  They had never thought that not finishing what they started was an option.  Oh please, if you don't like it, put it down, lest you spoil your pallet forever!!  Happy Reading!!

No comments: