12 October 2010

A New Adventure


Well, since I am a total putz when it comes to my family blog, you guessed it--I'm going to attempt to keep a blog solely on my reading. Each year for about two years, I have set reading goals for myself. Now, I love to read, so this really isn't any major challenge for me, other than to make myself accountable. However, when you read anywhere from 10-15 books in a month, you don't really have a lot of time to write down much detail about each book. It's just a counting and then I invite people to ask about what I am reading. Well, my family blog is private, due to certain types of people I have no desire looking at pictures of my kids, and as a result, I don't think too many people really pay attention to what I read. Well, this is an adventure. I want people to know, to ask questions, to engage in a dialogue, with something I am very passionate about. I love to read!! I will pretty much read anything, and usually, I enjoy everything I read. That doesn't mean everything I read is the best in the world, it just means that I love books for their own merits. I don't compare and contrast. Something doesn't have to be "great literature" to be loved and valued. Each of us is different. Each of us has different tastes. So if you want a recommendation, I may not be able to give it. What I love, you may hate, and that's okay. I ask that if you choose to comment on anything, you do it kindly. Reading is an opportunity to gain knowledge. Knowledge is freedom. I believe in freedom. I believe in choice. I believe in everyone's right to an opinion, but I also believe that in stating one's opinion, one can do so without being cruel. So let's come together and READ!!

"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves."
- Claude Adrien Helvetius

“We read to know we are not alone.”
- C.S. Lewis

“When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life.”
- Christopher Morley


HAPPY READING!!

No comments: