12 October 2010

Guardians of Ga'Hoole: The Golden Tree

First of all I need to say that my commentary on each book I read begins as of today. At the end of this month, I will list everything I've read this month in list format, and if you have any questions the forum is open, but to go back and do book by book everything I have done this month so far would truly be too much for me. I will do my utmost from here on out to keep up though. I am a mother, a librarian, and a graduate student; all these come first for me, but this is an endeavor I feel passionately about. So, let the reading begin. . .

This book I finished this afternoon. I have read books 1-11 as well. I first noticed these on the shelves of the school library and put them on my to be read list. Then my Children's Library Materials course gave me the excuse to buy them. Yes, we were to read the first book and compare to the movie, but I can't just read the first book in a series. This is a lengthy series, so it will be a financial commitment to get them all. I personally think any book is worth it if it will be read.

This series is most suited for a 3rd-6th grade reading level. The action moves along a great pace. I love owls, they are one of my two favorite animals, so this series attracted me for merely that purpose. Second, I love the fantasy/science fiction genres, so that added another check mark for me. The author initially intended to write a nonfiction book about owls but went down another road instead. As a result there are many facts about owls in these books that some may find take away from the story. I personally find these facts only add to the books. It lends a sense of reality to the book. Plus, I find it personally fascinating. This particular book shows what happens when we focus our thoughts and actions on things or "people" that are not worthy of our devotion. We must be true to ourselves and place our faith and trust in one another, not objects. Honor and goodness are within each of us, not without. To find that within our own beings and to spread that charity and honor to all around us, is the ultimate goal.

"The time to read is any time: no apparatus, no appointment of time and place, is necessary. It is the only art which can be practised at any hour of the day or night, whenever the time and inclination comes, that is your time for reading; in joy or sorrow, health or illness."
-Holbrook Jackson

**I encourage you all to set aside a time everyday to read something just for you. If you can do nothing else, read.

No comments: